Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Made It: Library Labels and a BONUS!!

Joining up again with 4th Grade Frolics for a "Monday Made It."


I've been busy this week getting ready for some visitors to my house.  My sister and her family are FINALLY coming to see me!!!  They haven't ever been to this house or Michigan, so I'm thrilled.  But of course that means I also have to have the whole house tidy enough to let her look in every room.  Uh oh!!

Anyway, I've been slogging through my classroom library collection this week, trying to finish labeling each book with the three levels I want to include.  I thought I'd show you how simple it is to make these.

I can't decide if I use this tool more for my crafting or my classroom.  I LOVE my Xyron machine.  It takes paper and turns it into stickers.  Or in my case, labels.  It's so simple to use!

Just stick the paper in on one side and turn the crank. 


Once it's past the edge on the other side, slide the little blade to cut it off. 


Peel the top plastic sheet away. 
(it takes away the extra adhesive from around the edges of your items) 


Easy peasy, ready to use! 

Once my books have stickers, I look up all their levels and write them on the label by hand.  


I've only got about 20 more stacks like this one left to go!  (This is a really long, tedious project!)



In case you're wondering, I just make my labels in MS Word using a table with no borders. Print, cut, roll through the Xyron, and label!

Now for my bonus feature!  :)

My friend, Dave, from Learning is the Game made this AWESOME activity for me!


It's easy set up -- print, cut, and add velcro to fly swatters.

The kids slap a fly, state the simplified fraction (in the example above, 2/18 would be 1/9) and then flip it over to check.  If they're right, they keep the fly for a point.  


Check out Dave's blog post or his TPT store for more details.

Hope you're having a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!